My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lisa's Caramel Puffcorn

We never can remember to take a picture of this.

It looks like caramel corn, but puffier and with no kernels.

I haven't found the Okee Dokee puffcorn yet in Texas, so I've been bringing it back from Missouri. By the way, Lisa is my parents' neighbor.
We've always made a full recipe, but I'm sure you could cut it in half. It makes a ton.

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup dark Karo syrup
1 cup butter
1/2 tsp baking soda

2 packages of Okee Dokee puffed corn (Dierberg's carries it)
1 pound of nuts, peanuts, mixed or whatever you want

1. Put puffs in large roaster with nuts. I usually use 2 containers--a roaster and large mixing bowl. It helps to have a double oven too.

2. Melt brown sugar, butter and Karo syrup. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
Add the baking soda and stir well.

3. Pour the mixture over the puff corn and nuts and stir, stir, stir. It works well with a pancake turner to lift stuff up from the bottom.

4. Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

5. Turn out on wax paper and cool.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home